If you need a little reminder, here are 10 reasons to get your kids reading this year. Some you know and some may be new to you. Hint: no 6 is rightly the hottest educational buzzword of the moment.
- Reading strengthens brain connections and actually builds new connections.
- Reading improves concentration and helps build the ability to sit quietly and take in information, formulating ideas and building comprehension skills.
- Reading opens up the world to children. They get exposed to different ways of living and thinking. They become more open minded, understanding and accepting of differences.
- Reading improves vocabulary and highly developed language skills. Kids learn how to structure text sentences, use long words and language appropriately.
- Reading improves academic performance. Every subject requires the ability to extract information and comprehend it. This becomes even more vital in high school.
- Reading encourages critical thinking, the new educational buzz word. Children who read a lot can engage in reflective and independent thinking, use different sources of information to find solutions and evaluate a situation from all sides.
- Reading boosts your imagination. We take in the words and create pictures in our mind.
- Readers builds emotional intelligence. We engage and empathise even if we’ve never experienced these things ourselves.
- Reading entertains and occupies children in a positive way.
- Reading relaxes and de-stresses It allows them to escape from school pressures and expectations.
Need tips for a reluctant reader? Read this.
Can’t find the right books for your child? For help with reading suggestions per age check out our Bespoke Book Tree service.
* Oil painting by Pekka Halonen, 1916. Open copyright.