National Book Week is South Africa’s official reading awareness week – celebrating its tenth anniversary with the hashtag #NBWturns10 in 2019. To raise awareness and buy books for underprivileged children, the #BUYABOOK campaign needs your support.
We know South Africa has dismal literacy scores. Simply look at these figures to see what a crisis we are in. We are not a nation of readers but we can work to change this. Getting books into the hands of children is the first start. National Book Week is an initiative run by The South African Book Development Council in partnership with the Department of Arts and Culture.
From 24 August to 8 September 2019 you can visit any of the participating stores below, purchase a book from selected titles for just R20, drop it in the book bin and they will ensure it goes to those who need it most.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE TO #BUYABOOK:
- Challenge your friends, family and those you work with to buy more books than you. Make it a work challenge among different departments or groups of colleagues.
- Share our social media images on your platforms and spread awareness about our campaign. You can download our images HERE. Don’t forget to tag us or use #BUYABOOK so we can share your posts.
- Collect a pool of donations between those closest to you and #BUYABOOK collectively. Make it a group outing and get the kids to choose the books.
- Print the posters and put them up around your community, work, school, university or religious institutions.
- Donate money directly to the cause by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Send us news and pics of your initiatives – we’d love to see what everyone can do! #raiseliteracylevels #thebooktree #BUYABOOK